Most everyone has heard that it’s a good idea to regularly wax their car, but not everybody knows why. We get asked all the time what benefits people can gain by waxing their car, so we decided to post a few great reasons here for all to see. Read on to find out more…
- Shine – Well here’s one we all know. You want a shiny car right? Wax is the easiest way to get your car looking glossy and new. A carnauba based wax generally will provide wonderful depth and clarity, though modern synthetic paint sealants have taken big leaps in this area and there are some fantastic options out there that will provide a great shine as well.
- Protection From Airborne Contaminants – If your paint is left unprotected by a wax or other sealant then it’s at risk. Bugs, acid rain, and other corrosive materials can settle into your paint and etch it, causing damage nothing short of repainting can fix (this is expensive BTW). A layer of wax will create a barrier between your paint and the rest of the world so that these contaminants become embedded in the wax instead of your car.
- Easy Washing – One great reason to wax your car that many people might not know is that a wax will make you car MUCH easier to get clean. When you inevitably get bugs, sap, and all other sorts of things dripping onto your car the wax will prevent them from making contact with your paint. They will then be wiped away with a car wash or will come off when the wax is removed. Without a coat of wax these things may need a full detail to be properly removed.
- Prevent Paint Chips – Little paint chips can occur when you’re driving at high speeds and tiny rocks and stones jump up and hit your paint. Car wax smoothes the paint surface and will reduce the friction between debris and your car, meaning that tiny debris is more likely to slide off your car rather than damage it. This will help prevent your car from becoming the victim of little rock and paint chips which are not only unsightly but can be expensive to repaint correctly. Of course, there are other reasons to have a freshly waxed car on the highway as well.
- Fills In Scratches – Make no mistake, wax will NOT remove scratches from your car. But it can fill some of them in. When shallow scratches are filled in by wax they become much less apparent, or not noticeable at all. Filling in scratches can be a preferable alternative to removing them because it doesn’t require the removal of any clear coat.
Any other ideas? Feel free to leave them in the comments below!