There are two types of people in the world when it comes to their vehicles, preventative people and reactive people. There are the people who even before they buy their car have already decided how and where to get it detailed. Although many people don’t understand the importance of detailing a brand new car, there’s one step further that some decide to go.
You would expect a brand new car to be as flawless as that new iPhone you just bought when you take it off the lot. However, that’s just not the case. Most cars sit on dealership lots for days, weeks, months, years before being sold and get beaten by the weather. The less than proficient dealership detailers don’t help either. But regardless, a detail that incorporates a wash and wax is the perfect first step. Adding a buff would be better for many cars that come with swirls. But the BEST final step would be to add a clear bra to the most vulnerable spots of the car. If you own a black or other dark painted car, this is almost a non-option.
Throughout the course of normal daily driving, rocks, road debris, and other road particles are going to get kicked up and take nicks out of the paint. If this can be prevented with a clear bar then why not do it?!
Advantages of Using a Clear Bra:
1. Prevents chipping the paint
2. Prevents the inevitable rusting of the metal due to the chips
3. Prevents from initial chemical reactions that eat at the paint
4. Easily replaceable clear bra when the first one gets beat up
5. Increases resale value by keeping paint like new
A clear bra has many advantages that are hard to ignore. However, there are things to consider when shopping for your clear bra.
What to Consider When Shopping for a Clear Bra:
1. Shop for a top name brand like 3M or XPEL that comes with a lifetime warranty
2. Find a respected installer who knows what they’re doing (call the clear bra headquarters for a recommended installer in your area)
3. Decide how much of your car you want to cover: front and rear bumpers, wheel wells, side mirrors, rocker panels, a variety amount of the hood…etc.
Getting a clear bra sounds pretty fool proof. But what happens when you ignore the considerations list? You may not be happy with the result.
How Things Can go Wrong:
1. Saving money without a top name brand – Prepare for yellowing of the clear bra and peeling around the edges
2. Don’t pick the right installer – Expect air bubbles, uneven cuts, and lack of coverage in certain spots of the car.
It doesn’t take much to ensure your car is properly protected. A little research and a little money upfront will keep your car’s paint looking pristine for a long time. A clear bra may even get you a little extra money if/when you decide to sell your car…
If you have any questions or concerns or a stance on clear bras that we didn’t mention, please feel free to leave us a comment below!